Monday 5 April 2010

The Owl and the Pussy Cat...

... went to sea in a beautiful pea green boat.
I've decided it is time to re-visit my series of animated shorts based around the story of the Owl and the Pussy Cat, and let the wolves rest for a bit. The rhyme says "They sailed away for a year and a day", so you've got to figure that within those 366 days at sea this unlikely couple would have come across some adventures. My animations focus on their voyage and each episode tackles a new situation.
But before I start posting up drawings and concepts for this latest animation, I'll just fill you in on the previous episodes. This is where it all began. Here are the character designs for both the Owl and the Pussy Cat, and various colour concepts for the first "episode"































































This first animation was just an experiment, a way for me to get to grips with the characters, the environment, and the way everything moved. I intentionally kept the production time for this animation (and the ones to follow) very very short, in fact this first animation took me only a week to put together, after all the initial character and concept design had been completed. This was to enable me to continue with other work alongside (namely the work for my graphic novel that feature in previous posts). Another thing you will notice is that the aesthetic of the animation will continue to develop as the series progresses, this is because I am developing the look of the animation/characters/environment as I animate, allowing me to keep the time spent animating very brief for each episode and not get too bogged down with trying to create one perfect animation. It is much more fun to get stuck in with an idea and learn as you go along, plus I think it's nice to be able to see a progression and exactly how things have developed within someones work, and I hope that you will be able to get a sense of that with my little series.

So here it is:





(November 2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment